- Damages estimation
- Data analysis
- Discovery support
- False Claims Act
- Healthcare economics
- Healthcare reimbursement
- Off-label marketing
- Reimbursement and claims data
- Response to governmental investigations
- Medical devices
- Medicare and Medicaid
Andrew Huson specializes in economic and statistical analyses, discovery support, and leading teams that analyze large, complex data sets. His work focuses on False Claims Act (FCA) and related matters involving drug manufacturers, medical device manufacturers, and healthcare providers. These cases often require analysis of medical claims data (including Medicare and Medicaid) and large internal company databases, such as sales, product testing, product performance, billing, and marketing data. He has experience working with counsel through all stages of litigation—during government investigations and settlement discussions as well as in support of testifying experts.
- In United States ex rel. Donald R. Galmines v. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp., provided consulting and expert support on behalf of a leading pharmaceutical manufacturer in connection with alleged FCA violations concerning off-label marketing to physicians. Analyzed several large claims data sets, company marketing data, and publicly-available data to provide insight on liability, causation, and damages. Supported counsel in settlement negotiations.
- Providing consulting support for a medical device manufacturer facing a government investigation regarding allegations of kickbacks and medically unnecessary services. Analyzing several large data sets relating to the sales and pricing of certain products and the frequency of certain services.
- Providing consulting support for a large health system facing a government investigation relating to allegations of medically unnecessary “short-stay” hospital admissions. Analyzing large claims data sets and evaluating use of statistical sampling to provide insight on liability and damages.
- Providing consulting support for a medical device manufacturer facing a government investigation regarding allegations of FCA violations for several products. Utilizing several large data sets pertaining to the products at issue and their clinical usage to perform statistical and empirical analyses of the allegations and to provide insight on liability, causation, and damages. Participated in settlement negotiations with DOJ.
- Providing consulting support for a large provider of in-home healthcare services facing a government investigation. Analyzing several large internal compliance-related data sets to gather insights on issues relating to potential FCA violations.
- Provided consulting support for a pharmaceutical company facing a government investigation relating to alleged off-label promotion of an orphan drug. Evaluated causation and damages using several large data sets pertaining to the sales and reimbursement of the products.
- Provided consulting and expert support for a large chain of clinics alleged to have engaged in pharmaceutical dosing and administration practices that violated the FCA. Evaluated liability and damages using statistical sampling, benchmark analysis, and cost-benefit analysis.
- Provided consulting support for a large health system facing a government investigation regarding allegations of practices that violated Stark Law and the FCA. Utilized claims data sets to evaluate potential exposure under a variety of scenarios.
Supported analyses of an academic expert regarding public interest in a patent infringement matter before the International Trade Commission related to the importation of certain surgical products.
Supported Dr. Neeraj Sood, Dr. Christopher Stomberg, and Margaret Albaugh in preparing a white paper analyzing the cost effectiveness of the introduction of over-the-counter statins. Model incorporated analysis of publicly-available data sets and results of clinical trials.
BA, Mathematical Methods in the Social Sciences & Economics, Northwestern University
- International Journal of the Economics of Business, June 2015
- July 2014