Selected other international experience
- Submitted reports and testified at preliminary and final International Trade Commission (ITC) hearings in Certain Oil Country Tubular Goods (OCTG) demonstrating the deleterious effects of unfairly traded imports of OCTG, including lower levels of investment, profitability, and employment in the domestic oil industry.
- With our European partner E.CA Economics, retained by a freight-forwarder involved in negotiations with the US Department of Justice (DOJ), European Commission, and enforcement agencies in other jurisdictions over allegations of price-fixing in the freight forwarding industry. Conducted analysis of impact and provided data support.
- Testified before the South African Competition Tribunal on the unilateral and coordinated effects of the proposed Pioneer Hi-Bred/Pannar Seed merger, along with the effects of efficiencies on post-merger pricing. In a decision upheld by the South African Supreme Court of Appeal, the Competition Appeal Court ultimately agreed with Bates White’s assessment that the transaction would strengthen competition by promoting greater innovation in the development of new corn seed products.
- Served as project co-director in Presbyterian Church of Sudan v. Talisman Energy, Inc. computing damages related to injuries caused by Talisman as a result of its construction of oil drilling infrastructure, and its provision of access to this infrastructure to the Northern Sudanese government.
- Provided advice to the US Department of the Treasury, the US Department of State, and on behalf of these agencies, to central bank and finance ministries in Russia, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Poland, and Romania, on bank privatization and financial sector reform.
- Retained by the OECD to provide guidance on cartels, monopolization and abuse of dominance, and price-related abuse of dominance and exclusionary practices for Asian antitrust and Eastern European competition authorities.