In October 2012, McKesson Corporation (McKesson), a healthcare services and information technology company, announced an agreement to purchase PSS World Medical Inc., a distributor of medical products and services, in a transaction valued at $2.1 billion.
With support from Bates White, pharmaceutical manufacturer Amgen Inc. recently settled litigation with Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc. concerning Teva’s challenge to the validity of Amgen’s patents for Neupogen. The client obtained a favorable outcome through an agreement that prevents Teva from introducing its infringing drug in the United States before November 2013.
This paper, authored by Dr. T. Scott Thompson, explores new requirements found in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PACA) that impact health plans offering benefits for emergency services, and provides an economic analysis of the likely consequences of the new provisions and rules.
The Alabama Supreme Court recently overturned three jury verdicts totaling nearly $275 million against pharmaceutical manufacturers AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, and Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation. The ruling cites many arguments presented by Dr. Eric Gaier, who provided deposition testimony on behalf of all three defendants and testified at trial on behalf of AstraZeneca.
Healthcare and Life Sciences
Bates White’s Healthcare and Life Sciences Practice comprises economists, academics, and industry experts who possess a deep understanding of the healthcare industry and how it is shaped by the evolving landscape of government regulation, enforcement actions, and private litigation.
Our professionals have played pivotal roles in healthcare investigations and litigation involving pricing, marketing, distribution, and reimbursement issues in cases alleging fraud, misrepresentation, breach of contract, and violation of state and federal statutes. We also have extensive experience providing economic analysis and expert testimony for clients in antitrust investigations including mergers and conduct investigations. Our defensible and rigorous approach is built on sound economic theory, extensive empirical work, and facility with critical legal issues.
As a result of our extensive healthcare litigation and consulting experience, we understand the issues that face all types of healthcare participants, including:
- Public and private medical insurance payors
- Physicians, hospitals, surgery centers, pharmacies, and other providers
- Pharmaceutical, biological, and medical device manufacturers
- The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Veteran’s Administration (VA), and other government entities
- Pharmacy benefit managers, group purchasing organizations, pharmaceutical wholesalers, and other healthcare intermediaries
- Health, October 2013
- Lawyer Monthly, August 2013
- April 2013
- HealthLeaders Media, May 11, 2012
- Kaiser Health News, October 5, 2010
- Journal of Competition Law and Economics, June 17, 2010
- White Paper, November 2009
- Washington, DC, November 4, 2013
- Washington, DC, October 18, 2013 – October 19, 2013
- Washington, DC, June 11, 2013
- June 5, 2013 – June 7, 2013
- March 2013
- Washington, DC, March 13, 2013 – March 14, 2013
- San Francisco, CA, December 4, 2012 – December 5, 2012
- Washington, DC, November 30, 2012
- Washington, DC, November 15, 2012 – November 16, 2012
- Christopher Stomberg and Richard Manning speak at McGuireWoods’ 4th Annual Medical Device and Life Sciences ConferenceChicago, IL, November 8, 2012
- Washington, DC, July 26, 2012
- Arlington, VA, May 3, 2012 – May 4, 2012
- Arlington, VA, May 3, 2012
- New York, NY, May 10, 2011 – May 11, 2011
- New York, NY, May 3, 2011 – May 4, 2011
- Washington, DC, January 19, 2011 – January 21, 2011
- Washington, DC, September 23, 2010
- London, UK, September 16, 2010